Somaliland electorate has every right to evaluate the history and previous engagements of any one who seeks to be elected for the president of Somaliland,It is constitutional and democratic right to shed light his personality,leadership,political orientation,integrity,decision making,stamine,loyality,recent history and past history.
Hence, Hon,Abdulrahman Irro’s ten year tenure as the speaker of Somaliland house of representative is sufficient enough to understand and evaluate him personally and professionaly.
The house of representative has tremendous and comprehensive legislative powers according to Article 54 of the Somaliland constitution:
The legislative powers of the house shall extend to the following financial matters:
- The imposition of taxes,duties,and other schemes for raising revenue.
- The establishment of a somaliland income fund or other funds which are earmarked for specific issues.
- The printing of currency and the issue of bonds,other cerificates and securities.
4.The regulation of the economy and the financial system. (Article 54 of Somaliland constitution).
Furthermore,article 55 of the Somaliland constitution provides the house of representative sweeping powers to regulate the government budget.
- The house of representatvies may debate and amend the budget,and approve it by a resolution.
- If the new budget is not approved before the start of the new financial year,the old budget shall continue to be in force until suh time the new one is approved.
- The house of representatives shall approve any expenditure which is not included in the budget.
- The annual accounts shall be presented to the House of Representatives within six months of the end of the financial year to which they relate, and the House shall debate them and reach a resolution thereof.
- The Auditor General shall have responsibility for the presentation of the annual accounts.
Similarly,the constitution clearly shows that the house of representatives can initiate laws to the benefit of Somaliland citizens,without making an excuse that the exectutive did not bring bills to the house.
According to article 74 of Somaliland constitution bills (draft legislation may be introduced at the house of representatives by:
- The council of government (the cabinet).
- The requisite number of members of the house of representatives as laid down in rules passed by the house.
- Except fo financial bills, at least 5000(five thousand) citizens who are eligible to vote.
In light of the above background,did Abdulrahman irro failed or succeeded to exercise the constitutional powers of the house of representative to serve the interest of Somaliland citizens. On the other parts,I will analyse,the bills the house should have tabled in, in the wider public interest but failed to do so,the houses check and balance apparatus,has it worked as intended or not?, as speaker of the house of representatives did he use the post for the bettermant of Somalilanders or the promotion of his political agenda?,did he led the house with vision and exemplary leadership?,where his good governance and anti corruption credentials stand in light of how he managed the house and its resources?,his numerious foreign trips and qeust for Somaliland recognition,can we deduce his level of patriotism in light of his leadership of the house?,is he a good decision maker and innovative leader?,Somaliland youth and the performance of the house of repersantative.
By: Mohammed Dahir Ahmed