Puntland has run out of patience with Somaliland over civilian killings, Information Minister Mohamud Hassan So’ade said on Wednesday,.
So’ade made remarks during an interview with State Television, PLTV in the capital, Garowe as Somaliland has celebrated 25 years of self-declared independence.
He added they are dismayed at what is happening in Lasanod, referring to protests that turned violent when anti-Somaliland rally participants clashed with security forces.
A civilian has been reported killed in the incident while three others wounded in what could be exacerbating the already-volatile situation in disputed Sool and Sanaag regions.
“This is an Intolerable act and our patience had already run short on Lasanod.
Locals must smooth out their differences and stand up for their defense,” said So’adde in a veiled warning directed towards Somaliland.
Moreover, he didn’t rule out the possibility of taking action if forced to do so in his remarks broadcast live on Puntland State TV later in the day.
Somaliland officials could not be reached for comments regarding violent Lasanod incident. Puntland and Somaliland have been at loggerheads over the ownership of the regions since the latter militarily seized Lasanod in October 2007.
Puntland President Abdiweli Mohamed Ali campaigned on a platform of restoring Lasanod back in the hands at the height of presidential election in early 2014.