Senior Al-Shabaab intelligence commander Mohamed Ali Hassan on Monday surrendered to government forces in Bakol region, southwest of Somalia, military authorities said on Monday.
A military commander with the Somali National Army Abdirahman Tima Ade said Hassan first made contact with government authorities in Hudur town of Bakol region before ultimately giving himself in.
Hassan who is said to have been in charge of the Bakol and Lower Shebelle regions took advantage of the government amnesty offer for Al-Shabaab militants to surrender which began late last year.
The military said Hassan admitted to having been responsible for several attacks.
“I am the senior Al-Shabaab intelligence commander and I have been responsible for the planning of several attacks which have killed many people in Somalia,” Hassan is quoted as having said.
Hassan asked for forgiveness from the Somali government and the citizens of Somalia.
Hassan joins a number of senior Al-Shabaab commanders to surrender including Zakariye Ismail Ahmed Hirsi who had a 3 million US dollars bounty on his head and was recently delisted from the US list of most wanted persons.